Sunday, August 26, 2007

Romania Mission Trip






















Well, we have been back from Romania for 2 weeks now, and I finally have time to write about it! It has been a little chaotic around here since our return. Doug's family left last Sunday, I have spent many hours setting up my Kindergarten classroom, and we made a trip to McCall.


Back to the trip- Doug and I had a great time in Romania. It was really neat to see and be a part of the work that is going on in there. We were able to help out with a spiritual growth camp for teenagers ages 14-20. There were over 400 campers in attendance the week that we were there. They traveled from all over the country, some even had a 24 hour train ride!


Doug was able to help out with the music, and I spent a lot of time in the kitchen helping prepare food for all of those hungry campers. I do not think American kids would of gone for the food that was served. Liver pate for breakfast anyone? Almost every meal other than breakfast was soup and bread. I don't think I want a piece of bread for a long time!


Trip Hi lights:


Most exciting moment: Seeing many teenagers make decisions for Christ



Scariest moment: riding on slick, curvey Romanian roads at high speeds (this is where a lot of prayer came in as the camp was four hours from the airport)



Most distgusting moment: The Romanian BBQ- They brought a live pig to the camp in a horse drawn cart. The pig was then stabbed to death and cut up in about 1 hour. We walked down to the kitchen during the process and there was blood and parts everywhere. The pigs head was sitting in the sink where all of the dishes were washed. About an hour later we were told that the BBQed pork was ready. After what I saw in the kitchen I had absolutely zero appetite. Even Doug with the cast iron stomach had trouble choking it down, although he did and enjoyed it.



Most relaxing moment: Taking my first hot shower in a week! On our way back we had to spend the night in Bucharest at a very nice Crowne Plaza. The first thing I did was take a steaming hot 45 minute shower!



Most eye opening moment: Traveling through the towns and villages of Romania and seeing how the people live. Most of them live in communist appartments, or very tiny rustic houses. We are so blessed to live in America!


Most tiring moment:


TRAVELING!!! Our trip itenerary- 5 hour flight, 6 hour lay over, 8 hour flight, 6 hour lay over, 5 hour flight, 4 hour lay over, 1 hour flight, and then the scariest 4 hour drive of our lives!


Thank you so much for remembering us in your prayers while we were away. We are so thankful that God allowed us to take this trip. We learned a lot and our hearts were truly burdened for missions in a new and exciting way.

9 comments:

Dionna said...

I really enjoyed your post and pictures! I know the travel can be grueling - but what an experience! I think I would have lost some weight by the sounds of the food.
I'm glad you guys could go and I know your hearts were impacted in a great way.

Anonymous said...

What an awesome opportunity for you guys! Thanks for sharing the stories and the pictures. Glad you guys were able to take that trip.

Alaskagirl said...

Thank you for sharing. The pictures are great and it sounds like you and Doug had a great time and I'm sure your lives were changed forever!

SPARKY said...

that is wonderful. everyone needs those kinds of experiences.
but the pig head was just plain nasty :o)

Anonymous said...

Glad it was an awesome trip!!

Do you think we can duplicate the "pig" feast here when we have our grand opening @ the new church =)

Kimberly said...

Okay, I am definitely not cut out to be a butcher! I can't believe you were in the same room with that thing.
We are so happy you guys got to go. :)

Louisiana Belle said...

Sounds like a great trip- for the most part! I'm afraid that the food experience would leave me a little nauseous, but what an awesome opportunity! Glad to have you home!

Angela said...

I love all your pics! Sounds like it was a great trip! All except for that disgusting pig...that picture of his head is horrible! haha. Anyways, I am glad you are back, but won't probably see you until Christmas since I am in Portland for school! :)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing. We are blessed to live in America! :)